Thursday, June 24, 2010

6/24


Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday have been *relatively busy, with Greek class each morning and writing workshop every afternoon. This week we’ve been work-shopping the piece that we want to read at our final reading, which, for the travel writers, will be Tuesday. After our reading, we are going to spend the rest of the week working on some informative travel writing about the Greek Isles- which I am pretty excited about. I honestly expected us to be doing more informative (rather than essay/memoir hybrid) type travel writing, but I’ve enjoyed doing some narrative based writing too.

I have a pretty terrible cold- congestion, sore throat, the whole shebang. It’s persisted for about two days, so I’m bound to be feeling better soon.

Our professors have been doing our evening readings this week. Ho-hum. It’s been less than impressive. The playwright professor is pretty obnoxious. He read three ‘ten minute’ plays which is apparently a genre (that- until now- I was completely unaware of). Anyway, all of his plays are about Jews. He’s Jewish and is obsessed with being Jewish. Every response that comes from his mouth has something to do with being a Jew.

Anonymous person: “David, are you going to go ATVing on Saturday?”
David: “Jews just don’t do that”

His logic is completely beyond me.

Tomorrow (Friday) we are taking a ferry to the island of Sifnos. It’s a larger island, but other than that I don’t know that much about it. It’s the only island we can get to from Serifos (which is apparently rather isolated in the Cyclades. I don’t think it’s particularly “geographically” isolated, but there aren’t very many ferry lines that run to our port). To get to most of the islands (Santorini, Mikonos etc) you have to ferry back to Athens, then on to the desired island. I kind of wish we were island hopping more; but, it’s expensive, and our reasoning is… why leave paradise for a more touristy version of paradise?

Today there’s nothing on the agenda. I’m just drying to stay hydrated and feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment