Saturday, June 5, 2010

Touch Down, Athens!

I arrived in Athens c. 11:00am. My travels were glitch-free, that is, if I disregard the big-mama flight attendant, Tanisha, who requested that she be called “Lady T” (definitely an Atlanta native) and the smelly West-Virginians who sat to my left. But traveling was a success, for I am here! The weather was cool and drizzling upon my arrival, but it’s cleared up into a gorgeous, relatively cool day.
Two of the Mizzou professors met me on the other side of customs and we took the train to our hotel in the Μοναστηράκi district of Athens. Yesterday the transit was on strike, but they subsided their demonstration and fired the trains back up in preparation for my arrival (I think that really epitomizes the hospitality of the Grecian ☺ ). We are about a ten-minute walk from the Acropolis and the hotel houses a rooftop bar with a phenomenal view of the site (obviously arousing the archaeologist within).
I have one roommate, Molly, who goes to Mizzou, and our hotel is nice and has quick WiFi. Perfect.
We are going to a “welcome dinner” at a “taverna” tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment