Saturday, June 19, 2010

Status: First Week... elapsed


It’s probably about time for another update. Meredith’s party on Wednesday was a really good time. We had a cover fee with an open bar at a taverna on the beach. I’m sure it was a great way to ring in her 21st year. Thursday was rather uneventful and consisted of a lot of writing (or I should just say that a lot of time was spent attempting to write- and I got a few words on the page).

Thursday night we had yet another poetry reading. It seems odd that there are only two students here for poetry, yet all but one of our readings have been poets. Luckily, I love listening to poetry, but I can’t say the same for everyone else. Thurday night I went to dinner at the port with a couple of the girls, Lauren and Sarah. There is this sea front strip with probably 15 different cafes, an it’s impossible to distinguish where one ends and the next begins, so we just grabbed a table. I am pretty sure we happened to plop down at one of the most expensive restaurants on the island. I had a Greek salad that was loaded up with lobster and prawns. It was pretty awesome. I spent the rest of the night writing. From this post it probably sounds like I write all the time. Alas, I do not. I need to write more more more. There are so many distractions (like tavernas and the Aegean).

We had a brief class on Friday morning where we traded some of our works for workshop. The rest of the day was spent at the pool and beach. I borrowed one of my friend’s goggles and swam the entire length of the beach (only in about two and half feet of water- dad would approve). I was certainly not at risk of drowning. It was absolutely beautiful. The water is gorgeous here. It’s not the bright aqua color of the Caribbean. It’s quite a bit deeper in color- still amazing. Yesterday (Friday) was probably the only day I got a little too much sun on my shoulders. I’ve been wearing a hat everyday (mom would approve). :)

At five o’clock we headed down to the only bar that has a big screen TV to watch the USA/Slovenia game. We ate dinner at that hour (just because we were there) and we were THE ONLY PEOPLE EATING at any of the fifteen(ish) tavernas along the port. 120 year olds wouldn’t even think of eating that early in Greece. After the game we moved to the beach in front of our bungalows to hang out for a few hours (my bose speaker has proved to be very practical for times like this).

I just got home from sea kayaking. Now I’m at the pool bar, trying to ignore the loud and obnoxious music that is blaring all the time. The bartender looks exactly like Dracula. He wears the same white Capri pants everyday, and they are tight, transparent, and thus… creepy. He blares (and I mean BLARES) music all day. It’s quite the variety. I’ve heard everything from Whitney Houston to Silent Night (yes, the Christmas song) to this rap song that begins with these baby voices screeching into the mic ‘we gunna see how loud deeese speakas can goooooooo!!!” Unfortunately, this is the only area on the complex with WiFi, so it’s positively unavoidable....the lyrics to the song right now are "dance naked on the palm trees." NOT EVEN KIDDING. How do you dance ON a palm tree - naked...?

My camera is broken. ☹ I can’t get it to turn on. I don’t know what is wrong. My roommate Meredith is kind of a photography junkie so she is going to have a look at it- I don’t know what’s u, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment